Wednesday, October 10, 2007

No Such Thing as a Wrong Note


Today has revealed to me a surprising potential for redemption. It didn't start off so well, but as I work through it, I find that tinkering around has revealed better possibilities than I hoped for at first. There is a quote, sometimes misattributed to Thelonious Monk (whose birthday happens to be today - he would be 90) that goes, "There is no such thing as a wrong note." Now, this quote has also been credited to Art Tatum, a piano perhaps less famous nowadays, but even lovelier than old Thelonious, if they must be compared. It's easy to see why people familiar with Monk's music would think he'd said this. Perhaps it did say it at one point, cased within a lenghty lecture on the role of dissonance, silence and hesitation in bebop or jazz. Regardless of the source, this thought presents the great possibility that those things we do, or say, or even write that seem not to have hit the note that others (or even we ourselves) expected, might in the end make sense, even enhance the whole.


That's how I feel about this blog, which, frankly, I am not at all impressed with. And yet, I continue on... hoping that either this will one day be useful or will be the rough steps to a meaningful thought somewhere down the road.


No comments: